IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU LOVE IS IN AN ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP, PLEASE DON'T WAIT. CALL THIS NUMBER AND ASK FOR HELP!
1−800−799−SAFE(7233)
You can also email me if you need someone to talk to. caring_hands@comcast.net

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Need For Self Affirmation

Each of us have, at one point or another, had to endure rude, spiteful, or hateful comments from another person.  I am sure, if you are anything like me, these comments have either been ignored, laughed off, or quite possibly started an all out war, with the evil little person in question, ending life long friendships, putting strains on family gatherings, and even halting relationships from the get go.  People, I include myself in this category, can be cruel, either intentionally or unintentionally.  They say things out of fear, jealously, or ignorance.  The spoken word is powerful.  Once it is out there, it is out there forever. We can try to pretend it did not hurt and most of the time we may succeed... for a while. Unfortunately we are only human and emotions and memories can, and often do, get the best of us.  They are sly and ambitious, waiting in the dark recesses of our mind for the moment to be right.  Then, like a lion stalking its prey, these memories attack.  We question, we doubt, we internalize. 
    While we might never be able to stop negative things from the outside from getting in, there is something we can do to help derail the lion of emotion and memories from attacking from the dark.  If we remind ourselves daily that we are wonderful, we are powerful, and we are in charge of ourselves.
    Take some time each day for a little positive self affirmation.   Build yourself up because you never know who is waiting to pull you back down.  The power to see ourselves how we want to be seen comes from within.  Become who you are and others will see that person as well.
Some Suggestions for PSA (positive self affirmations) are as follows:

I am beautiful (handsome)!
    I am strong!
    I am courageous!
    I am able: I can do anything I set my mind to!
    I am not alone: I am my own best friend!


    The way others perceive us is a constant concern for people.  It starts when we are just children. Our parents make us put on our Sunday best when guests are expected, or for an outing with the family.  It continues as we progress through school always having to have the latest fashion and being ridiculed when we do not.  Our hair, our weight, and the way we walk and talk all become issues of great priority. 
    When have we ever looked in the mirror and thought: “What do I see?” not “What do others see?”  Build your self image from the inside out.  Be who you are, and let the chips fall where they may. 
    Do you see yourself as the kitten or the lion?

No comments:

Post a Comment